MMTC Best Editor Awards:
- 2015 Best R-Letter Editor Award: Pradeep Atrey, SUNY, Albany
- 2015 Best E-Letter Editor Award: Kan Zheng, Beijing University of Posts & Telecommunications
MMTC Excellent Editor Awards:
- Dr. Koichi Adachi (Institute for Infocomm Research, A*STAR, Singapore) – 2013, Recommended by the MMTC R-letter Board
- Dr. Zhu Liu (AT&T Labs, USA) – 2013, Recommended by the MMTC E-letter Board
MMTC Service Awards:
- Distinguished Service Award: Dr. Haohong Wang (2013)
- Outstanding Leadership Award: Dr. Shiwen Mao (2013)
MMTC Best Paper Awards:
- Best Journal Paper Award in 2015:
Suman Deb Roy, Tao Mei, Wenjun Zeng, and Shipeng Li, “Towards Cross-Domain Learning for Social Video Popularity Prediction,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1255-1267, October 2013.
- Best Journal Paper Award in 2013:
P. Ndjiki-Nya, M. Koppel, D. Doshkov, H. Lakshman, P. Merkle, K. Muller, and T. Wiegand, “Depth Image-Based Rendering with Advanced Texture Synthesis for 3-D Video,” IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 453-465, June 2011.
- Best Conference Paper Award in 2013:
S. Shi, K. Nahrstedt, and R. Campbell, “Distortion Over Latency: Novel Metric for Measuring Interactive Performance of Remote Rendering Systems,” in Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo (ICME), pp. 1-7, July 2011.
The Award Board recognizes outstanding contributions, both technical and service contributions, to the technical committee and the community it serves.
- Board Director:Béatrice Pesquet-Popescu, Télécom ParisTech, Institut Mines-Télécom and CNRS LTCI, France
- Board Co-Director: Cedric Westphal, Huawei, USA
- Board Member:
Huadong Ma, Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, China
Sujit Dey, University of California, San Diego, USA
Wenjun Zeng, University of Missouri, USA
Shipeng Li, Microsoft Research Asia
Jianfei Cai, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Lajos Hanzo, University of Southampton, UK
Jun Wu, Northwestern Polytechnical University, China
Best Paper Awards:
IEEE ComSoc Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC) will give the following yearly awards in the multimedia communications area.
- Best Journal Paper Award (0-2 per year)
- Best Conference Paper Award (0-2 per year)
For the Best Paper Awards, any paper published in an IEEE ComSoc journal/magazine or in the proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM, ICC and ICME, in the two years preceding the election, is eligible. The award will be determined in via a three-stage process in collaboration with IEEE MMTC Review Board. The prize is a certificate and an IEEE plaque.
Stage I: Nomination and Review
The paper nomination is always open. Paper nominations have to be sent to the IEEE MMTC Review Board Chair by email. The nomination should include the complete reference of the paper, author information, a brief supporting statement (maximum one page), the nominator information, and an electronic copy of the paper when possible. Only papers published in the two years preceding the nomination will be considered.
Stage II: Review
Each nominated paper will be reviewed by two members of the IEEE MMTC Review Board, according to the area of expertise, and avoiding any potential conflict of interest. The reviewer names will be kept confidential. If both members agree that the paper is of award quality, they will recommend publishing the review of the paper (partially based on the nomination supporting document) in the IEEE MMTC Review Letter.
Stage III: Award Selection
The Award Committee typically meets twice a year in mid-March and mid-September to select Award winners from the nominees. During each meeting, one best journal paper award and one best conference award will be elected. A paper is a valid candidate for best paper award if it satisfies BOTH of the following two criterions:
- Published in an IEEE ComSoc journal/magazine or in the proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM, ICC and ICME, in the two years preceding the deadline.
- Reviewed in the IEEE MMTC Review Letter.
The selection will follow the process below. Here we use the Best Journal Paper Election process as an example. The Best Conference Paper Election will go through a similar but independent process.
- In the first round of the election, each valid paper candidate will be reviewed by two members of the Award Board, according to the area of expertise, and avoiding any potential conflict of interest. External and independent advice may be sought in exceptional cases where previous conditions cannot be fulfilled. An initial ranking shall identify the 5 papers from the initial pool of valid candidates.
- In the second round of the election, each Award Board member performs a ranking of the top three papers. The best paper is the one that is ranked first overall. The votes from at least 5 members of the Award Board are necessary to validate the election. In case of equality between two papers that cannot be broken by discussions within the Board, the vote of the Director is determinant.
- The award is usually presented at GLOBECOM and ICC, by the MMTC chair, to one of the authors of the best paper. The authors will be notified at least 6 weeks prior to the conference.
- The Board can decide not to give the award if no candidate papers reach the award quality.
- The reviews, voting and any deliberations of the Award Board will stay strictly confidential. No correspondence will be sent to authors of the nominated papers, and no complaint will be considered during the election process.
MMTC Service Awards:
The Award Board will be responsible for the following yearly awards:
- Outstanding Leadership Award (0-2 per year)
- Distinguished Service Award (0-2 per year)
Nominations are accepted by March 15 and September 15 of each year. The nominations must be endorsed by MMTC Chair before passing to the Award Board. The prize is a certificate and an IEEE plaque. The Outstanding Leadership Award and Distinguished Service Award will be given at our MMTC meeting during GLOBECOM and ICC.
The two service awards will be given based on exemplary service to MMTC. To become eligible for the awards:
- The nominee must be a MMTC member at the time of nomination.
- For Outstanding Leadership Award, the nominee has been serving as a IG Chair/Vice-Chair and Board Director/Co-Director before or at the time of nomination.
- For Distinguished Service Award, the nominee must have been a MMTC member for a sustained period of time
Nominations should be sent to MMTC Chair using the following format:
– Award name
– Nominator name, affiliation, and contact info
– Nominee name & affiliation
– Up to one page supporting statement
Final selection shall be made by the Award Board and approved by MMTC Chair.
MMTC Award Board Director and Co-Director shall be appointed by MMTC Chair and approved by TC members during the TC meeting.